Who has access to my medical records?
Many more people than you might think, including people outside the health care industry.
- Insurance companies
- Government agencies especially if you receive Medicare, Medicaid, SCHIP, SSI, Workers Comp or any local, state or federal assistance
- Banks, Financial Institutions
- If you are involved in a court case, your medical records can be subpoenaed and available to the public
- Drug companies
- Data miners
- Transcribers in and outside the U.S.
- Many health websites collect information about you
- Your health-related internet searches can be sold to marketers